Monday, April 23, 2012

Wax crayon resist card

Hello everyone!! Today, I have a very colourful card to share, it is for this week’s Play Date Café Challenge and for the Inspiration Journal April challenge to use watercolour techniques. Here’s the PDCC inspiration file:


And my colourful card:


I played around with some watercolours and different resist techniques and thought that a white wax crayon might work well together with a dry embossed paper, rubbing the crayon on the embossed parts before painting. I thought the result was pretty cool, lots of texture. I’ll do a tutorial on this another day, totally forgot to take step-by-step photos as I was busy with the backgrounds (I made a whole bunch). I mixed up the right shade of pink in watercolour paint and painted it rather unevenly on the embossed watercolour paper, letting the paint pool in some areas.

A length of tissue paper was coloured with Spiced Marmalade Distress Stain and dried with a heat gun. Then I made a flower in the same way as Tim did during 12 tags of Christmas, here is a link. The flourishes were cut from grungeboard, painted white and then coated with glossy accents and orange glitter. I’ve loved using the Tattered Banners for my sentiments lately. I often stamp my sentiments on just a strip of paper, and the banners add a bit more fun to that.

A close-up of the flower:


And of of the wax resist:



Thank you for stopping by! Have a fabulous week!

Anna-Karin

Supplies: Hero Arts Thoughtful Messages CL184; Sizzix Botanicals embossing folder, Mini Flourish Movers & Shapers, Tattered Banners Sizzlits; Distress Stain Spiced Marmalade; Tim Holtz terminology tissue wrap; grungeboard; Daler & Rowney watercolour paint; white wax crayon; Making Memories glitter.

8 comments:

  1. Love the colors, nice flower too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely card! The embossing is very beautiful and perfect color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Beautiful results - love your card!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great technique! LOVE all that delicious texture! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spectacular! I really love the distressed result here, gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh this is lovely, your textured background looks great with that beautiful orange blossom taking centre stage! Thanks so much for joining in the fun with us over at The Play Date Cafe this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card! Love the flower and your crayon resist technique!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have my vote, Anna-Karin! I love this, and it's evident all the work that went into it. Gorgeous.

    Thanks a bunch for joining us at The Play Date CAfe this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!