Sunday, October 21, 2012

Majestic Mountains

Today I have a scenic card to share, my second card for this month's Craft a Scene challenge, 'Majestic Mountains'. I hope you'll play along with us, there is still a lot of time.

I had lots of fun making this scene:

This is a half-sheet scene (5.5 x 8.5 in), done on glossy cardstock and coloured with dye inks using a Colorbox Stylus tool (see this tutorial). Kevin Nakagawa from Stampscapes has recently done fabulous videos explaining the basics of scenic stamping, don't miss them.

I planned the placement of all the stamps on scrap paper first, as I usually do.The little cabin was stamped first, and then masked, something I don't often do, but I wanted the trees to come up behind the cabin, so it was necessary here. I wanted to use this mountain stamp from Sutter stamps and stamped it twice to fill the width of the paper. I added some extra trees at the base of the mountains, apart from those already included in the mountain stamp. Before stamping the addional pine trees, I wiped the bottom of the trunk a little bit, so that they look more natural growing out of the grass.

The little pond was stamped and then I added some boulders behind it, and some pebbles around the path of the riders. The trees in the foreground was stamped with Archival Ink Olive, which I also used for the grass stamping (with one of my most used stamped, the Sedge Filler). The rest of the stamping was done with Archival Jet Black.

I wanted to get natural looking and muted colours on the scene, and started as usual with the lightest shades, gradually building up more colour. I added quite a bit of brown to the grass. The mountains were coloured with brown, grey and a bit of green, and I added extra texture to the open ares on the mountains. I also added shadows to the house and the riders, using a darker shade of ink than the grass.

The birds were stamped with Denim ink and partly placed where they are to cover up a smudge. Some foreground branches were stamped. Then I added mist by dry-brushing white pigment ink on the scene, such as on the mountain furthest away (the mist helps to push the mountain back, making it look further away). Highlights were added with a white gel pen.

Thank you for looking!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Stamps: Sutter Stamps: Glacier Mountain Mirrored, Cowboy Gang; Stampscapes: Ducks a Formation 027A, Leafless Limbs 052C, Tree Duo 085A, Crooked Limb 097E, Pines and Rockes 195G, Pine Island 207E, Boulders with Lichen SM. 210C, Cabin Sm. 248A, Sedge Filler 253C, Pebbles 256A, Prickly Brances 272G, Pond 279F, 3 Rocks and Grass 199B, Rocks and Grass 301A
Ink: Ranger Archival Jet Black and Olive; Adirondack: Willow, Aqua, Stonewashed, Pebble, Denim, Mushroom, Slate, Sandal, Oregano, Pesto, Espresso; Distress Ink: Peeled Paint, Pumice Stone, Pitch Black; Jenni Bowlin: Weather Wane; Colorbox Frost White
Pen: white gel pen
Surface: Kromekote glossy cardstock

3 comments:

  1. The scene is fantastic and so natural!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing scene construction, Anna-Karin - your eye just gets drawn in to the wonderful depth you've created. I LOVE the trees!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful scene love the composition and details.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!