Sunday, March 3, 2013

Robinson Crusoe Tropical Scene

Hi everyone! A new month and a new challenge at Craft a Scene. During March our challenge theme is 'Tropical Shores' - palm trees, beaches, water, etc. This was fun for me since I don't use my tropical stamps so much, partly because it is an environment that I am not used to.

I was looking at my stamps and wanted to use the Island Mountain by Stampscapes, since it was uninked. It made me think of Robinson Crusoe who was stranded on a little tropical island. That's the inspiration behind the card, so the guy on the stone trying to catch a fish is Robinson Crusoe. The scene is tall and uses glossy cardstock. I started stamping the Palm Cove with Archival Jet Black and then continued with the mountain, but using Memento Nautical Blue instead, to make it look as if the mountain is further away. I stamped it twice so that it wouldn't be right in the center of the card.

The stone was stamped twice in the water and I added some more palm trees. The scene was coloured as usual with a Colorbox Stylus Tool and dye inks (see this post), starting with the lightest shades (Aqua and Willow) and gradually building up darker colours. I wanted a tropical teal and green look with just a little bit of pink mixed in. If you use pink in the sky, remember to add a bit of it to the water too. I also used some of the bright green Citrus ink in the water and liked the effect a lot. Highlights were added with a white gel pen and just a little bit of mist with white pigment ink.

Finally, I also want to thank Kevin Nakagawa for having offered to give a RAK for my Make a Scene challenge that I hosted during Winterfest (9-17 Feb.). Don't miss Kevin's Stampscapes 101 videos, they are fabulous if you want to learn more about the wonderful world of scenic stamping.

Thank you for the visit!

Happy Stamping!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Stamps: Stampscapes: Island Mountain Lg. 095G, Palm Cove 096G, Palm Cluster 100D, Spear Fisherman Sm. 109A, Rock (1) 129B, Sentiment Sheet 3
Ink: Adirondack: Aqua, Willow, Citrus, Pool, Denim, Stream, Meadow, Bottle; Memento: Cottage Ivy, Nautical Blue, Rose Bud; Distress Ink: Peacock Feathers, Broken China; Jenni Bowlin Chewing Gum; Archival Ink Jet Black; Colorbox Frost White
Surfaces: Kromekote glossy cardstock

4 comments:

  1. A stunning scene, Anna-Karin! Gorgeous colours. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna-Karin, this card is such a treasure. I love the scene and the wonderful colors. Your highlighting always set your art above.

    NancyD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is so realistic. Colors are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Anna-Karin! Your scene is beautiful! Love the way you used the lighter shades! Well done!

    I would like to thank Mr. Nakagawa also for sponsoring the RAK for your challenge. As being the one to receive the RAK, I am so excited and humbled by y'alls generosity! Thank you both!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!