Sunday, May 18, 2014

Sand and Water

Hello! A new case file is up at CSI: Color, Stories, Inspiration and the colours are wonderful:
 
 
Sorry for being a day late, I didn't get to post this yesterday. I made a double-pager this week:
 
I had some beach photos that fit the colours real well and they have been on my desk for quite a while waiting to be scrapped. I made a mixed media background aiming at a feeling of the sea. From the evidence items I used: jewels, mixed media background, stamps and rub-ons. From the testimony items, I wrote my journaling directly on the background.  

Watercolour paper was coated with gesso, adding some wave like shapes and pressing a lid into the gesso to make circular impressions. When the gesso was dry, I painted it with slightly watered-down Distress Paints: Evergreen Bough, Peacock Feathers, Tumbled Glass and just a tiny bit of Chipped Sapphire. I first stamped 'sand' on the background as my title, but was in a hurry and stamped 'SANB' instead. It was covered up with tissue tape and I die cut a title from canvas instead.
 
When the paint was dry, I stamped it with Natalie Kalbach's great mixed media stamps, using Achival Inks. The stars are a Tim Holtz stamp. I also smeared light molding paste on the page, using the two stencils that came with Natalie's stamp sets, and palette knife.

For more of a beach feeling and to add texture, I used some cheese cloth and strips of vellum that were embossed in a swirl folder. The arrows were stamped with red Archival Ink on smooth paper and cut out, they come from a set by Ali Edwards.

The right-hand page. Nothing beats playing around in wet sand, but it doesn't taste as good as it looks.  

I like the look of the texture in the gesso, from the palette knife and from the lid I pressed into the gesso.

I dry-brushed just a little bit of Chipped Sapphire paint on some of the paste areas, once the paste was dry.

Thank you for looking! I hope you will join us this week!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Surfaces: Daler & Rowney watercolour paper; Ranger White Sticky-Back Canvas; vellum
Dies: Sizzix: Vintage Market XL
Embossing folder: Sizzix: Dot Swirl & Medallion set
Stamps: Stampendous Natalie Kalbach: Mish Mesh, Wired; Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz: Typography; Technique Tuesday Ali Edwards: Explore Arrows
Ink: Ranger Archival Ink: Forget-Me-Not, Vermillion, Jet Black
Paint: Distress Paint: Tumbled Glass, Peacock Feathers, Evergreen Bough, Chipped Sapphire
Medium: Golden Artist Paint Light Molding Paste
Stencils: Stampendous Natalie Kalbach: Mish Mesh, Wired
Embellishments: cheese cloth; blue pearls

2 comments:

  1. Cool page using that really funky colour combination - how funny that the photo was the perfect colours already!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stamping as usual. Love this page.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!