Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Luggage Tag Box Tutorial

Hi all! I am back with an tutorial for Eileen Hull's June Art with Heart challenge, which is Summer Fun. As every month, there is a great prize to be won.

To create this, I used the Make-It-3-D die, which has three different parts that you can use to make other dies into 3-D projects. You can read more about it in this Mug tutorial of mine. I made the great Luggage Tag into a Luggage Tag Box, which can be used to house a little gift, maybe to someone who is going on a trip. I used DecoArt Media paints and medium for this project.

Die cut both parts of the luggage tag from mat board, as well as the Make-It-3-D shape shown here. If the shape you want to make into a 3-D item is smaller, you can cut the Make-It-3-D shape smaller too. You'll have to cut off a piece on the flaps on one side, otherwise they show through the window.

Coat with a layer of DecoArt Media Gesso.

Paint with Burnt Sienna and Quinacridone Burnt Orange.

Paint the insides with Titan Buff.

When dry, sand the shapes slightly, to reveal some of the white again.

I used stamps by Wendy Vecchi, stamped with Jet Black Stazon ink.

Coat with a layer of Crackle Glaze. The thicker the glaze, the larger the cracks. Leave to dry. 

When the Crackle Glaze is dry, paint with English Red Oxide Antiquing Cream. I was aiming for a tone-on-tone effect here, but you could also use a contrasting colour.

When the Antiquing Cream is dry, wipe off with a soft cloth. It remains reworkable even when dry. As you can see here, the cream will remain in the cracks, making them more visible.

I wanted a transparent window looking into my box and die cut the solid part of the luggage tag from acetate. The sentiment was stamped with Stazon Jet Black.

Eileen's new Flower Layers & Stem die is so sweet. I didn't use all the flower parts because I didn't want my flower to be too large, so that it would fit on the box. Die cut from old dictionary paper and Core'dinations Distress cardstock. Sand the latter pieces slightly.

Apply a strong adhesive to the flaps of the 3-D strip (I forgot to take a photo of this step). Assemble the box. I love this tree stamp by Wendy. 

On the front, I tied a piece of Linen Ribbon and added some rub-ons. 

A few rub-ons were added to the acetate too. Maybe you could make a little tag book and place inside the box, for the recipient to document travel memories in. 

Layer the flower together, shape it a little and place a brad in the center. 

It is hard to capture the effect of the distressed painted background and the cracks with the Antiquing Cream on a photo, but it looks pretty nice. 

I hope you will join the Art With Heart challenge this month!

Happy summer crafting!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:


And:
Paint: DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics: Burnt Sienna, Quinacridone Burnt Orange, Titan Buff
Medium: DecoArt: Gesso, Crackle Glaze, Antiquing Cream English Red Oxide 


10 comments:

  1. Oh I like this very much Anna-Karin, the make it 3D die just gives every die a whole new lease of life! The crackling looks fabulous and I love how you used the Wendy stamps too. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous idea and use of the dies Anna-Karin and I love that sentiment . Love the crackle too. Tracy xn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!!!! I can't wait to come up with a project using the Make It 3-D die. yahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool...cool...really cool!
    ps...love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Wendy! I love the sentiment stamp of yours that I used.

      Delete
  5. This is such a great project and so well explained!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this little window box. I really like the sentiment stamped to show in the acetate
    Love Eileen's Dies. They are so versatile.
    Thanks for sharing this great design! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very cool Anna-Karin! Just love that Make it 3D die!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!